Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Walking a stream

Back in September I stayed at a friend's cabin up on a ridge in southwestern Wisconsin. It was right after the heavy rains that caused the heavy flooding in Minnesota. On the drive down we got detoured because highway 52 was closed.

With all the streams muddy I was prepared to just sit in the cabin all weekend. After a day of relaxing by the fire, I decided to get out and take a walk in the valley. DNR maps showed designated water in the valley to the west of the ridge. I scrambled down the side of the ridge and found the stream when it was only a few hundred yards old. Just a few feet across and wade-able with waterproof hiking boots.

I followed it down past a convergence with the eastern valley's stream. I found a spring seemingly flowing out of the forest floor. I followed the stream until I found a narrowing and a small hole near a big, red barn. [props to my mother-in-law for getting me the collapsing spinning rod.] I pulled out my spinning rig from my backpack and proceeded to catch a beautiful brook trout on a jig.

For perhaps the first time I walked a trout stream with out a fishing pole. I normally admire my surrounds when fishing, but this time I was able to focus on the beauty of the stream and the surrounding forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment